A microwave oven is a common household appliance in Western countries. There is a no of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes which you can prepare using this regular appliance with ease. However, this conception is relatively new in India. Thus it’s natural for the people to have misconceptions about this regular appliance.
There are two categories of micro ovens available in the market one is convectional and the other is solo. If you usages are limited then go for solo micro ovens. These will cost you 3000 to 8000 rupees.
If you are confused between these two choices, let me guide you through the decision-making process which will simplify your job.
We have tested over 20 products and combined our exploration with user reviews from reputed sites. We listed below 10 top-rated Micro Oven that you can go for.
1. IFB 17L Solo Microwave Oven
SPEEDS DEFROST: You can save time and effort when it comes to thawing frozen food.
ELECTRO-MECHANICAL POWER: The electro-mechanical timer of the Microvan appliance lets you control the power output as per your needs.
CAPACITY: It has a capacity of 17 liters; thus it’s a perfect choice for bachelors as well as students.
WARRANTY: It’s backed by a 3-year warranty on magnetron and cavity and one year on the device gives the satisfaction and comfort that you deserve.
CONVENIENCE: You can make flavorful Indian meals with the touch of a button. It enables you to warm up for frozen items to the right temperature before you serve them.
FEATURES & FUNCTIONALITIES:
- 17 L capacity: Suitable for small as well as nuclear families.
- Solo: Enables defrosting, reheating as well as cooking.
- Warranty: 1 year on product and 3 years on magnetron and cavity.
- The white color of the appliance.
- No digital control
2. SAMSUNG 23L Solo Microwave Oven
FOOD WARMING: Using this feature you can reheat your food without having to worry about getting it overcooked. This way your food can retain texture as well as flavors. The “Keep Warm” feature enables you to do prepare a handful of dishes.
HEALTHY COOKING: When you don’t want to cook or you are running out of time, you can use the 16 programmed recipes that are present in this Micro Oven and enjoy flavorsome dishes within a few seconds.
SOFTENING BUTTER OR METLTING CHOCOLATE: You can use this Micro Oven to perform even the most complicated functions; such as melting chocolate or soften butter. You can choose from the four modes of chocolate, butter, or sugar and get softened/melted recipe ingredients just like you would want them to be.
CMF Design: Samsung applies CMF design in this appliance; making it an embodiment of style and functionality.
ECO MODE: Samsung microwave has a low power consumption that helps you to save up to 40% of energy.
ENHANCE YOUR KITCHEN LOOK: You can enhance your kitchen with the stylish F300G microwave oven. This solo Micro Oven featuring a black glass front encased in hairline pattern interior with a matching handle and a crystal blue display and detailed silver dial.
TRIPLE DISTRIBUTION FUNCTION: Backed by this innovative feature, you can get perfectly cooked dishes every time. The microwaves are delivered in three slots in the oven cavity for more coverage.
FEATURES & FUNCTIONALITIES:
- 23 L capacity: Suitable for small as well as nuclear families
- Solo (multipurpose): Enables defrosting, reheating as well as cooking.
- Warranty: 1 year on product and 1 year on magnetron and 10 years on the cavity.
- You can prepare the dishes quickly.
- The ceramic enamel cavity enables easy cleaning of the interior (portion).
- Not suitable for baking/grilling.
3. GODREJ 19 L convection Microwave
STAINLESS STEEL CAVITY: Its stainless steel body helps in keeping the cavity-free of rust, thereby increasing the life of the cavity.
125 INSTACOOK RECIPES: This microwave features the Instacook menu that gives you access to 125 recipes
CHILD LOCK: This microwave features a child lock to prevent your child from meddling with the appliance.
DIGITAL DISPLAY: The digital display features makes it easy to understand the operation mode that’s being used.
WARRANTY: It’s backed by a 3-year warranty on magnetron and a year warranty on the product.
POWER CONSUMPTION: With 2200 watts power consumption, this household appliance allows you to prepare dishes.
- The quality of the material can be improved
4. LG 32L CONVECTION MICROWAVE
CRISPY DISHES AT THE TOUCHAT THE TOUCH OF A BUTTON: The microwave oven features a 360-degree motorized rotisserie that you can utilize to prepare crispy barbeque dishes.
PREPARE CURD/PANEER AT HOME: There is nothing more satisfying than finding delicious home-made paneer in your curries. With this appliance, you can easily prepare paneer and curd at home with ease.
ODOUR FREE GHEE: With this appliance, you can make odor-free in just 12 minutes.
FOR DIET CONSCIOUS: This Micro Oven, with the diet free technology lets you prepare delicious snacks using very little oil.
ALL IN ONE BUTTON: You can cook everything with one touch. From stewing to roasting to baking or browning to steaming to heating to grilling; you can do everything with just one touch.
- With its auto-cook menu (functions) you can prepare some dishes or your beloved ones.
- India Roti Basket function allows making 12 unique exotic Indian Rotis at a single touch.
- “Pasteurized Milk” option aids you to get rid of the conventional process of boiling milk.
- Functions are complex for first-time users.
- There is no grease filter.
5. MORPHY RICHARDS 23 L MICROWAVE OVEN
STAIN FREE BODY: This kitchen appliance has a stain-free steel cavity that enables you easy cleaning of the interior and prevents the interior of the cavity from getting scratched. It is designed in such a way that food particles don’t get accumulated in the corners.
POWER CONSUMPTION: With 1300 volts power consumption an output power of 800W is ensured.
5 POWER CONTROLS: Its flexible power controls feature allows you to change the power controls as and when required. You can optimize heating for your food as it has the flexibility of 5 power levels.
SAFETY: This Morphy Richards appliance comes with sensory and overheats protection that ensures safe operation. Child Lock protects the appliance from your kids.
FEATURES & FUNCTIONALITIES:
- 23L capacity: Suitable for small as well as nuclear families.
- Convection Microwave oven: Allows baking with grilling, auto-defrosting, reheating, and cooking.
- Warranty: 2 years on Product.
- Control: Touch keypads that is easy to clean and access.
- No starter kit provided.
- Can leak after a while.
6. IFB 20BC4 20-Litre 1200-Watt Convection Microwave Oven (Black)
ODOUR AND GERM-FREE: All the food particles that are on the heater of the micro oven are burnt, so the grill elements of this oven remain free from odor and germs.
The microwave fan remains functional even when power is off. This specific feature increases the life of the oven.
WARRANTY: The product I backed by a 1-year warranty on the machine, 3 years warranty on Magnetron and Cavity.
STEAM CLEAN: By utilizing this feature, the Micro Oven cleans the grease that’s inside it; leaving behind a lemony fragrance.
AUTO COOK FEATURE: Simply enter the weight of the food you’re cooking; thereafter select the type of dish that it’s and the auto-cook feature will cook the way that it’s supposed to be.
MULTI-STAGE COOKING: Three levels of cooking are stored by the built-in memory of this oven and various modes of cooking are executed automatically. So time gets saved when you are cooking a dish.
CHILD LOCK: This micro oven comes with a child lock feature. This safety lock prevents accidents from happening.
FEATURES & FUNCTIONALITIES:
- 20L Capacity: Suitable for bachelors or small families,
- Display: LED display
- Warranty: 1 year on machine & 3 years on Magnetron and Cavity
- Control Type: Touch Key Pad (that)is sensitive to touch and easy to clean
- Accessories included: User (instruction) manual, warranty card, starter kit, 1 Daffodil with lid, etc.
- The quality of the material can be improved.
- Reheating can take more time than expected
7. LG 28 L Convection Microwave Oven (MC2886BRUM, Black)
DIET CONSCIOUS: Now you can enjoy crispy snacks without having to worry about oil playing havoc on your health.
ROTI BASKET: LG Micro Oven allows you to prepare (at about) 12 exotic Indian Rotis effortlessly.” Indian Roti basket “enables you to make delicious naans, tandoori Rotis easily.
ODOUR FREE GHEE: With this Micro Oven at home, you can prepare home-made ghee within 10 to 12 minutes.
QUARTZ HEATER: LG 28 L Convection features Quartz Heater that prevents any scope for a hand injury. It facilitates faster cooking to help you prepare larger portions in one go.
FEATURES & FUNCTIONALITIES:
- 28L Capacity: Suitable for large families,
- Convection Microwave oven: Allows baking with grilling, auto-defrosting, reheating and cooking
- 1 year on product and 1+4 years on Magnetron.
- : 251 auto cook menu options with 175 Indian recipes.
- Often vapors start coming out of the micro oven
8. IFB 30L Convection Microwave Oven (30BRC2, Black)
AUTO COOK SETTINGS: The small appliance comes with 101 auto cook menus that you can refer to before cooking.
MULTI-STAGE COOKING: You can store up to three types of cooking cycles in the memory of the appliance, that helps you to cook in different styles.
MICROWAVE AND GRILL: You can blend the magic of the microwave and grill modes to cook and brown delicious meals. In this way, you can cook unique and tasty food for your beloved ones.
QUICK AND EASY DEFROSTING: With this microwave, you can defrost your food items just by entering the weight of the food items. This feature helps to save your time.
AUTO REHEAT: You can quickly reheat your meals with the auto programmed time & power levels. This makes sure that you don’t have to wait for long to dig into your favorite food.
FEATURES & FUNCTIONALITIES:
- 30L Capacity: Suitable for nuclear families
- Control key: Touch Key Pad is sensitive to touch and easy to clean
- Warranty:1 year on product and 3 years on Magnetron and Cavity
- Child Lock: Ensures complete safety (security) especially for homes with kids.
- Dimension (H X W X D-mm): 300 x 539 x 440
- The timer can be too sensitive
- Can get noisy at times
9. PANASONIC 27L CONVECTION MICROWAVE OVEN
AUTO DEFROSTING FEATURE: “Panasonic 27L convection, not just a Microwave, it’s a Microchef”. Its auto-defrosting feature allows you to defrost meat, fish, vegetables etc with a touch of a button.
BODY & DESIGN: This convection microwave oven comes with a capacity of 27 Litres. It features a stainless steel cavity that comes with dual heaters that are located at the top and back.
COOKING FEATURE: There are 101 auto cook menus offered by the convection Micro Oven. You can surprise your closed ones by serving Chef like dishes with the Auto–Cook menu feature; you can cook 64 Indian menus as well.
5 POWER LEVELS: Bring home a new dining experience with Panasonic 27 liters convection microwave oven. Its flexible power controls feature allows you to change the power controls as and when required. You can optimize heating for your food as it has the flexibility of 5 power levels.
- Excellent power output.
- Comes with 101 auto–cook menu.
- Zero oil –recipe feature
- Suitable for nuclear families
- Can’t change anything when operating.
10 .IFB 17L GRILL MICROWAVE OVEN
You don’t need to venture out for non-vegetarian meals with IFB 17 L solo micro ovens around. Its stain-free steel cavity saves 41 to 45 percent power consumption keeping your food warm for about an hour. “Combi Grill” feature enables uniform grilling of tandoori and kebab.
BODY & DESIGN: This grill microwave oven comes with a capacity of 17 Litres. It is suitable for bachelors and small families.
COOKING FEATURE: You can now warm up food within 90 minutes. A low power microwave pulse keeps the temperature of your food at a constant level without overcooking.
STEAM CLEAN FEATURE: With this feature; cleaning the microwave oven becomes easy. You can get grease and oil depositions out of the appliance within a few seconds; leaving behind a lemony fragrance.
DEODORIZE FEATURE: Deodorize feature keeps the grill microwave clean and germ-free.
POWER & SAFETY: This consumes 1200 watts in the microwave mode, 900 watts in the grill mode, and 2000 watts in the convection mode. It has a power output of 700 Watts.
- It has auto –cook settings.
- Flexi power control feature.
- Suitable for bachelors and small families.
- Being a solo micro oven you can cook only a certain amount of food
11. DANBY DESIGNER1.1 CU FT COUNTERTOP OVEN
This home appliance makes your cooking efficient and stylish. This Danby model offers a 1.1 cu ft (31.16 liters) of interior cooking and reheating. It brings you a durable and stylish stain-resistant interior and exterior. It’s backed by 18 months warranty on parts and maintenance.
- 1000 WATTS POWER CONSUMPTION
- TEN POWER LEVELS.
- PRODUCT WIDTH: 43.97 CM AND PRODUCT DEPTH: 35.56 CM.
- 18 MONTHS OF WARRANTY ON PARTS AND MAINTENANCE
Best Microwave Oven Brand in India
Samsung is a three-star Korean MNC headquartered in Seoul (South Korea). Samsung was established in the year 1938 by Lee-Byung-Chul as a commercial company. In the next three decades, the group developed three sections including textiles, insurance and securities, retail, and food processing. Samsung had 6th highest brand equity by the year 2017.
Samsung is a renowned brand in the field of electronics especially home appliances and cell phones. Samsung micro ovens are rich in features and affordable.
- The “Hot blast feature” speeds up your cooking and saves both time and energy.
- The “Bacteria Protection Feature” keeps the interior of micro oven clean and germ –free.
Godrej is an Indian agglomerate headquartered in Mumbai (Maharashtra). It was established in the year 1897 by Ardeshir Godrej and is entirely owned by the Godrej family. It got diversified into sectors like real estate, appliances, furniture, insurance and security etc.
Godrej brings you two categories of micro ovens (convection and solo). These household appliances are rich in features. Godrej Haute- Cuisine Convection Micro ovens enables you to make 8 international dishes and 9 Indian dishes. You can defrost, reheat, cook and prepare in one installment.
Whirlpool Corporation is an international marketer and producer of household appliances. It’s headquartered in Benton (United States) and started its operation from the year 1911. Marc Bitzer is the CEO and Chairman of the company.
Whirlpool is a renowned name in the field of electronic home appliances. Its products have innovative designs and are rich in features. When it comes to the micro ovens, Whirlpool is the right choice to go for. Whirlpool manufactures two main types of microwave ovens (convection and solo). With time, they have improvised on their products and have gained a reputation in the electrical and electronics industry.
LG Electronics is ranked four among the multinational companies in South Korea. Headquartered in Yeouido-dong (South Korea) LG was established by Koo In-hwoi in the year 1958. Formerly known as Goldstar, LG got diversified into sectors like Home Entertainment, Home appliances, and Vehicle parts.
LG has incorporated latest and innovative technology (design) in its household appliances. LG Corporation markets two categories of micro ovens (convection and solo grill). LG is an international brand s it provides you all its quality and features that would get your job simplified.
Things to Consider Before Buying
Countertop (light-weight, portable) micro ovens cost less than the other classes. Small-sized models start from 50 dollars whereas the middle-sized ovens range between 100 to 200 dollars. Over- range micro ovens start from 200 dollars and onwards, but most of the models that have tested and reviewed cost 400 dollars and up.
USER GUIDELINES & INSTALLATION
Keep in note that this section is meant to give you the basic information. Refer to the user manual for more details,
- Before you install the micro oven, check the glass tray in the box
- Place the micro oven on a flat surface; the surface should be able to bear the weight of the microwave.
- As you install your microwave oven, make sure that there is at least 10 cm space behind and 20 cm space above the oven.
- Slowly remove all the materials (packing) and then install the roller ring.
- Fill one microwave-safe cookware with water and mix it with 1/4th cup of vinegar. You can replace vinegar with a teaspoon of liquid soap,
- Depending upon the wattage of your micro oven you can cook the solution for 1 or 2 minutes. For example, the power consumption is 1200 watts then 1 and a half minutes will be sufficient and if it’s 700 then it will need 2 minutes or longer.
- Once you finish cooking, keep the oven door closed for three minutes and let the vapor warm up all the sides of the oven.
- After three minutes are over, remove the cookware. You will need a potholder to avoid getting burnt.
- Wipe all the sides of the oven with a towel or a piece of cloth. Use a rough sponge to clean all the stubborn food particles.
- Wash the plates manually with soap and water, Use a dishwasher or the plates if needed.
- Use a towel covered with disinfectant soap; slowly clean the external areas including the display and power buttons.
- Clean the roller wheel of the oven with a wet paper.
- Replace the wheel and rotating plate in the oven
MICROWAVE BUYER’S GUIDE
MICRO OVEN: CAPACITY
In general, micro ovens are available in three dimensions. A small (dorm) sized or solo micro oven has a capacity of less than 1 Cu foot. Medium-sized micro ovens have a capacity of 1 to 2 Cu feet or more. Large microwaves have a capacity of more than 2 Cu feet.
MICRO OVEN: AUTO-DEFROST
Auto –defrost is an easy and quick way to defrost food (meat and poultry products) without having to precook them. This particular feature uses three unique power levels (four, three, and one) to defrost food. With this in-built feature, you can defrost up to 6 pounds of food. Follow the user’s manual for model-specific setup information.
MICRO OVEN: AUTO-COOK
The Auto-Cook function consists of nine pre-set programs (starting from one to nine). The cooking duration is determined by the time it takes from “START” to humidity detection point (level). During this time duration, the word “auto” or automatic gets displayed.
- For code on the control button will beep four consecutive times as the humidity detection point is reached, the word “end” gets displayed.
- For codes two to nine, the food continues to cook after the humidity detection point is reached. This additional cooking time is decided by the preset program.
MICRO OVEN – FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why can’t metal utensils be used inside micro ovens?
You are advised to be careful while choosing utensils for micro ovens. Metal reflects microwave rays whereas glass, plastic, and most ceramic utensils allow the radiations to pass through the food items.
- Metal utensils shouldn’t be used inside an oven, as they don’t allow the radiations to penetrate or pass through and get the food cooked. However, for cooking in a convection micro-oven metals and foils can be used.
- Use oven-proof and microwave-safe utensils. However, you should get them thoroughly examined before using them.
What is a crisp micro oven?
A crisp oven has an in-built crisp function that enables you to add a crispy layer to your dishes (chicken, lasagna, or pizza). The crisp functions work well with a crisp palate. With this crisp function, you can speed up baking for an extra crispy result.
Can Microwaves cause cataracts?
Unlike X Rays microwaves don’t pose health risks, but that doesn’t imply that they are risk-free. Microwaves radiations warm up food by making the water molecules vibrate and that generates heat. Theoretically, the microwaves can heat your body tissues, in the same manner, they heat the food particles; at an extreme level, the microwaves can lead to burns and cataracts in the eyes.
CAN MICROWAVES COOK INDIAN RECIPES?
With technological advancements, microwaves are not just a cooking device. You can reheat, defrost, and grill with a micro oven. You can cook your favorite dishes at home more effortlessly and simply. From mouth-watering tikkas to curries and all, there’s probably nothing that you can’t cook in a micro- oven.
What kind of utensils/cookware should I use for a micro oven?
Microwave energy in the electromagnetic helps to reheat and defrost food in the ovens. For this reason, not all cookwares are considered (designed) to be microwave safe. Regular and normal utensils are not suitable for micro ovens.
Cookware for microwave ovens Buyer’s Gide
The cookware should have holding capacity to store food for reheating/defrosting purposes. The cookware should have a capacity of 500 to 1500 ml. You can even go for a container having a capacity of 300 ml.
Cookware with a seal/lid should be beneficial to go for. The cookware with a seal enables you to keep the food covered after reheating to keep it safe. Ensure that the seal is waterproof and airtight
HOW SHOULD I REMOVE THE UNPLEASANT ODOUR OF OOD FROM MICROWAVE OVEN?
It takes one item to stick up in the oven, leaving behind an unpleasant odor like burnt popcorn or some other foul smell. Before you go for harsh chemicals, consider some domestic remedies that are natural, chemical-free like baking soda, lemon juice, or vinegar.
- Avoid using metal items like spoons in the microwave.
- Heat up the vinegar with boiled water to avoid foul smells.
- You can deodorize your microwave with lemon juice as an alternative to vinegar,
- Use baking soda if you prefer a non-acidic method.
MICRO OVEN – TECHNOLOGY
A microwave oven also is known as a microwave is an electronic appliance that reheats cooks and defrosts food particles by exposing to radiations. This causes the molecules in the food items to rotate and generate heat. This process is known as dielectric heating (warming).
The development of a cavity (magnetron) resulted in the formation of electromagnetic waves of small wavelengths (microwaves). American engineer Percy Spencer invented the high-tech modern micro oven after World War II with radar technology. It was first sold as “Radarange” in 1946.